Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Drunk on Cupcakes

Can you get drunk on cupcakes?

I know of many other things that I can get drunk on, but how about a cupcake? In the name of science, I felt that this was a question that needed to be answered. I also had a ton of tequila taking up way too much pantry space and a burning desire to try baking with it.

So instead of a Wine Sunday, we invite the Stead Board of Eaters (formerly known as the guys) over for The Resident Taste Tester's famous enchiladas and a large quantity of liquid margaritas, and a platter of margarita cupcakes.

These tasty cupcakes are super moist, with just enough lime zest and margarita mix to make them slightly tart but still sweet. The tequila in the cupcake batter bakes off all the alcohol, so clearly I wasn't getting drunk off the cupcake itself.

But what we really need to talk about is the frosting. It was definitely a margarita in frosting form. That is, until I started fiddling with it. I had the perfect margarita flavor balance in the frosting, but it wasn't stiff enough to pipe onto my cupcakes.

So I added a touch more powdered sugar, and then a little more, and then just a touch more. And then it taste like sugary margaritas. It was still darn good, don't get me wrong. But I think a little more lime juice, or tequila, to keep the tartness would have been perfect.

Back to my search for scientific knowledge. Can one get drunk on cupcakes?

To answer the question, I really don't know. While eating the RTT's super spicy, jalapeno-loaded enchilladas, I may have drunk my way through a very potent Matt-made margarita. I was on the floor by the time I finished dinner and had to sober up enough to serve dessert.

I feel that a more controlled experiment would be required to fully answer my question. Maybe once my tequila has been replenished, I'll try again.

Prior to dinner, I actually took my camera out and took pictures of my experiment. Unfortunately, my computer isn't recognizing the photos on the camera so I have no photos to share. I know, fail again.

Margarita Cupcakes
Adapted from The Cupcake Project

The Margarita Cupcake Recipe
1/4 cup margarita mix
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined. Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila Lime Frosting Recipe
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp margarita mix
1+ tbsp tequila
2+ cups confectioners’ sugar
coarse sugar and salt for “rims”

Cream together butter, milk, margarita mix, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar. Add in more sugar as needed to make the frosting smooth and spreadable. Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse sugar and salt (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it).

No comments:

Post a Comment