Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Epiphany and Some Cookies

I had a sudden epiphany today.

On any given day, I have more ingredients to make cookies than a sandwich.

I mean seriously, a sandwich is bread and some form of filling. It can be as easy as peanut butter or some turkey. So bare minimum, 2 ingredients.

Cookies, though, have a whole list of ingredients. Butter, sugar, flour, eggs, baking powder, salt, vanilla. I have a whole shelf in our pantry that the Resident Taste Tester has graciously given to me to house my baking supplies, and it has spilled onto other shelves at this point.

Can you tell that I'm hungry and have nothing to eat? I could have cookies mixed up right now, but I have no bread to make myself a sandwich. Sad but true fact about me.


So I made cookies. I made Buttery Jam Cookies, but I used black rasperry jam because the RTT told me to.

The recipe says that it makes 45 cookies, but I only got about 27-ish. There would have been one more, but I ate the cookie dough for it. Another sad but true fact about me. Anyways, I read some other reviews for this recipe, and it seems that several other people had the quantity issue that I had. Maybe I just like big cookies. Hey, size matters.

These are very tasty cookies and can be adapted to whatever jam you have on hand. I'm kinda curious what peanut butter would taste like, but that will have to wait until next time.


Buttery Jam Cookies

From Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup apricot jam
icing sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place two racks in the oven, one in the upper third of the oven and one in the lower third of the oven. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar (on high speed) for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat on high speed for an additional minute. Add the milk and the vanilla extract and beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the jam and beat on low speed for 1 minute. Add the dry ingredients, with the mixer on low speed, just until they’re mixed in. The dough will be extremely thick and stiff.

With a an ice cream scoop or a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of the dough onto baking sheets, forming cookies that are about 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches in size.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, rotating the trays from top rack to bottom rack halfway through.

Once baked, let the cookies sit on the pan for a minute or two and then remove to a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment