Saturday, June 26, 2010

Good Old Fashioned Bachelorette Party!

It's actually summer here in Reno! I finally put my ice scraper away a few weeks ago, after being teased with the promise of summer and then slapped in the face with yet another snow storm. I don't really appreciate Reno's weather humor when I'm scraping ice off my car windows in early June.

But what a crazy summer it's been so far! I'm so far behind in posting all my latest adventures, as it was less than graciously pointed out to me by the Quantity Control Expert and the Director of Food Output (who is in fact the founder of the one and only Beer Saturday event). But I'm working on getting caught up, so stay tuned for lots more bloggage to come soon!

My friend Misty got married last night to a great guy. They had their wedding at a working ranch and really made it reflect them as a couple. It was down to earth and showed how creative they both are. Congrats to both of you guys, and I can't wait to see what's next for you!

But more importantly, there was a Bachelorette Party. A three day, two night kind of party so crazy and wild it had to be moved out of town and up to beautiful Truckee! I mean, we're talking about a ridiculous amount of female accountants gathered together to eat and drink!

Ok, maybe not quite that crazy. I mean, we're talking about a bunch of accountants here.

But eat and drink we did!

Everyone had kitchen duty for a meal over the weekend, and good Lord was there some good food going in that kitchen! The Quantity Control Expert and I showed up Friday night just in time for these fabulous tacos.


And then the cocktails started flowing! Misty brought Cranberry Granita to make Alton Brown's Cranberry Cosmos, which were delicious and potent, as seen in Lea's glass below.


But then the blender was brought out and the QCE and I learned of something that can only be described as Summer in a Glass.

This innocent looking concoction was in fact so good, it prompted the QCE and I to rationalize packing a blender to Nashville solely for the ability to drink these in Nashville.

What is this fabulous drink, you might ask? Well dear friends, it's simply limeade (or you can use frozen limeade concentrate), fresh mint, vodka, and ice. It's refreshingly light and minty and reminds you of sunny Saturdays sitting by the pool even when Reno is still in the 60s and there's still snow on Peavine. We may have enjoyed more than one of those, but that's all I'm saying since my mom reads this and this is a family friendly place.

And then the cakes were brought out. Nothing I made, but two lovely ladies had made cakes. The first was a tasty strawberry cake with real strawberry filling. I'm slightly concerned by Misty's knife in this picture...

So remember what I said a second ago about family friendly? Well. Scratch that for a second. Or maybe a few seconds.

I thought the chocolate sprinkles were a nice touch.

The QCE and I being the thoughtful friends that we are decided to give Misty a gift that she could use on her wedding night. Surely there are some guys who find this attractive.

Just so you know that we aren't the worst friends ever, there was a Macy's gift certificate in there too!

On Saturday, with the QCE's assistance, I served up rather tasty breakfast burritos with eggs, sausage, and hash browns. Sorry, too busy cooking to take any pics.

Then we headed out for an awesome hike through Truckee. It was actually warm and sunny out, which my skin noted as the first time it's seen the sun since last summer. FYI: put sunscreen on your neck too.

We made a stop at JAX at the Tracks for lunch, a diner that was featured on the Food Network. We made Misty wear her veil, which got her the VIP treatment from the staff. They filled her Bachelorette Cup up with Electric Lemonade!


The rest of the afternoon was spent in hot tubs and then making more drinks, including Summer in a Glass, back at the house. There was some Twister action going on until early morning... Also, I learned that Twister is way more fun if you completely ignore what the spinner says and just give directions based on what would be the weirdest combination. Just remember to keep spinning the spinner so it looks like you're playing it right!

We had a great time at the party and were sad to have to leave early Sunday morning. But on the plus side, we left early to start getting ready for our Nashville trip! More on that soon!

Congrats again to Misty and Arlo and thanks for all the dinners at your place that I've been to! You two are awesome!

1 comment: