Friday, February 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Fail

I tried Dorie Greenspan's chocolate chip cookie recipe last night with less then stellar results. They were so ugly I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of them to post here. They ended up completely flattening out, and the only thing giving them some height was the chocolate chips in them.


I'm not really sure what went wrong with them. My first thought is always to blame my oven and its complete lack of consistency, but that could be a cop-out. My go-to chocolate chip recipe uses more flour, I think about 3-4 cups, versus Dorie's 2 cups. Past that, I'm out of good guesses. I'll have to try Dorie's recipe at least once more before I deem it not worthy.


As ugly and sad as my cookie fail was, there was a silver lining. I didn't get in trouble for mistakes and loss of efficiency. No one cared that the couple of hours I spent making them could have been spent making cookies that I knew would turn out right. I had fun making them and reduced my stress level. The resident taste tester came home and said the place smell wonderful and the cookies tasted great, regardless of how they looked. And, best of all, I ended up with a big plate of chocolate chip cookies that the guys will enjoy tonight. Ugly cookie fail? Maybe. But tasty cookie win!!

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps a little (more) baking soda and/or powder would have helped give those cookies a little more rise.

    These are my all time favorites:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mexican-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-4808

    Except ditch the last four ingredients and replace with rounds of mexican chocolate. I usually use around 2 to 2 1/2 rounds of Ibarra or Mi Abuelia chocolate. Just chop up into small chunks and mix them in. Adding some of the resulting dust is really nice too since it spices up the whole cookie. If they end up a little too cakey, halve the baking powder the next time.

    ReplyDelete