Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sugar Cookies - The Finished Products

Well, decorating all those cookies was quite the adventure on Sunday. While I still have a long ways to go before I'll be a master sugar cookie decorator, I had a lot of fun and thought the finished cookies ended up looking super cute!


My strategy this time was to bake Saturday night and decorate on Sunday. Next time, I think I'll bake in the morning, do the base frosting at night, and then decorate the next day. Even though I gave it a couple of hours before I decorated, I don't think the base fully dried.

Cookies after the base frosting


My sheet of cookies after the base frosting

I thought that the edible markers were lots of fun and I'm think I'll be using them more in the future. Since the base wasn't fully dry, the markers sometime went through the frosting. They also seemed to bleed a little more than I liked, but I was using the bold tip pens since Michaels didn't have the fine tip ones.

I used corn syrup diluted with a little bit of water to get the sprinkles to stick to the cookies. Those were pretty simple and looked really nice, if you can tell from the pictures. I had bright pink sprinkles that I bought, and then I used red food coloring to color raw sugar and use that as sprinkles.


It was hard coming up with all the phrases for the text ones


The white frosting that I used to decorate some of the cookies is tubed frosting that I had from another project. Once I got it going, it seemed to work pretty well, but it did clog up pretty easily. I was pretty darned pleased with my piping skills on those ones!

I was really happy with how they all turned out. The cookies were soft, moist, and very tasty, so I feel that my sugar cookies are improving. Most of them were packaged up and sent in a care package to James and Jeremy. They had a slight delay getting out because apparently yesterday was a holiday for all non-accountants and the post office was closed. But I got them to the post office today, so hopefully they'll get there in one piece and still be tasty!

The finished tray of cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment