Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sugar Cookie Hearts - Part I

This week's Wine Sunday is being trumped by Valentine's Day. Since I'm going out, I have no fabulous menu planned out for tomorrow. Instead, my kitchen escapade for this weekend is sugar cookies, specifically happy heart shaped ones that will be sent to Kuwait!



Before I go any further, I feel the need to apologize to Dorie Greenspan for not believing her recipe. As I was rolling out sugar cookies, I kept saying to my resident taste tester that there was no way I was going to get 50 2-inch cookies out of this batch. Granted, my cookies were a little smaller than 2-inches, but I got 72 out of them. So Dorie, I'm sorry I didn't believe you. Once again, you were right and I was wrong.

My problem with sugar cookies has always been that they spread way too much. I still don't know that I've figured out my problem, but after the first couple of sheets the cookies stopped spreading and seemed to be keeping their shapes!

My only guess is that I chilled the dough like crazy! I kept sticking the scraps back in the freezer, and if I started having trouble handling the shapes or dough, I just stuck the sheet in the fridge or freezer. I also used three cookie sheets this time to really let the sheets cool between uses. Maybe they really do mean it when they say to chill the dough. As a sidenote, history has taught me that they usually mean it when they say to line the pan with parchment paper.

The left one is from one of my first batches and the right is a later batch, which was probably colder when it went in the oven.

So for tonight, all my cookies are baked and cooling overnight so I can frost them tomorrow. I'm still undecided as using regular sugar cookie frosting, or trying the new meringue powder I just got. But I'm really excited for the decorating part tomorrow! I found these cool edible markers at Michael's today, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they write on the icing.

This was my test on an unfrosted cookie that I made for my resident taste tester.

She was strangely unimpressed by a cookie with her name on it.

More to come tomorrow after I get the cookies frosted and decorated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment